Sunday, February 21, 2010

Why I scrapbook

A few weeks ago, I was featured in my job-related professional association newsletter. When I was interviewed for the article, one of the questions asked was "What are your hobbies?" So I immediately responded, "I like to scrapbook." Then there was a momentary silence. "Oh." I couldn't help but crack a smile. Obviously this person didn't get it.

I love scrapbooking. It's my "happy place," my escape from the rigors of a hectic day at work. Playing with photos, paper and scissors is great relaxation! It's a way I can put into words how much I love my kids as well as tell the stories behind my photos. And I'm fortunate to have developed so many new friendships with other scrapbookers who get it just like I do.
This is one of my favorite scrapbooks ever. It's a Prima canvas album featuring photos of my mom as a little girl. She loved to sew and I wanted it to have lots of fabric and stitching to make it feel like "her". My favorite part of the book is the page with her toy trinkets sewed into it. I found them in an old doll case in a dresser at my Grandma's house. The one in the middle is a medallion engraved with the words "forget me not." Another is a tiny June 1954 calendar page--it was her birthday month--she had turned seven. Several people have told me some of the trinkets are Cracker Jack prizes. So sweet!

























































































1 comment:

  1. That is a WONDERFUL scrapbook. How beautiful and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete