Sunday, March 14, 2010

For a friend

I have a friend who introduced me to wildlife photography several years ago. There is a wildlife refuge near where we live, and I'll admit... when I'd been there in the past, I thought it was B-O-R-I-N-G!! She kept telling me how she and her husband would get up at 5 a.m. on Sunday mornings to drive slowly through the refuge to snap photos of whatever happened to wander out of the woods. I thought she was crazy. Until one weekend, I asked my outdoorsman 13 year old if he'd like to go with me just to see what the big deal was. I was instantly hooked! I am notoriously NOT a morning person, especially on weekends, but it was so peaceful there. And it was a great way to connect with my son. For my friend's birthday, I wanted to create something special, something that would make her feel like she was there. I took some of my own photos, collected twigs and brush from the roadside there and created this mini album for her. After almost five years, she still displays it in her office. The album itself is a bound chipboard book. I inked the outside cover with brown ink and tied wood beads to it with twine to give the album a natural, outdoors feel.
My friend driving through the wildlife refuge. She hadn't realized my son snapped this photo of her!

Pull out photo flip book using found twigs:

A liquid adhesive was used to attach fabric directly to chipboard page:

Right side flips up to reveal more photos. To make the flap sturdier, I printed journaling on a transparency and folded it over cardstock. The transparency is attached to cardstock using brads in each corner:

Under side of flap:

Okay, I'll explain! :-) The water is very shallow here and the geese dive down to eat whatever yummy thing they can find on the bottom of the pond. It looks so hilarious when their bottoms are pointed straight into the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment